Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Wanted: Wisdom

I've been a wisdom-seeker most of my life. I was blessed with a slightly higher IQ than most people, but from early on, I was painfully aware that didn't necessarily result in good decisions. I went along the path of intellectualism until I came to a dead end. Lots of people told me, 'You know, you're very smart for school stuff, but as regards life, you're a total idiot!' And I had to admit that was completely true!

But somewhere along the road (and it wasn't a moment of epiphany, but rather, many little lights that came on at different moments) I came to see that wisdom was somehow related to the knowledge of God. One day I read the following, from the Book of Proverbs,

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.

I looked back at my past experiences, and saw what was lacking. More often than not (even though I've been a "seeker" from as long as I remember), I had failed to apply this principle. I had been foolish in rejecting the Lord's ways, and seeking my own. I had refused to submit to His teachings, even though I claimed I wanted Him.

I gradually came to a conclusion: that there is no true wisdom apart from the knowledge of God. And this cannot be mere head knowledge. Oh, far too many people know the Bible from cover to cover and yet don't KNOW the Lord. When they talk, they don't know what they are talking about. They can come to you and say things that sound biblical. Like Job's friends, who came, apparently, to bring comfort, but then revealed what was in their hearts: a judgmental, self-righteous, unmerciful spirit.


That's why the Holy Spirit, through Solomon, related wisdom to love and reverence to the Lord. You cannot even begin to have any truly trascendent knowledge if you don't have some degree of intimate knowledge of the Omniscient (All-knowing) Creator of the Universe, the All-Wise and Holy, Holy, Holy God.

I hope I don't sound too mystical. I'm not talking about weird experiences that are available only for specially spiritual people. Nor am I talking about some "hidden" knowledge...  The mystery has already been revealed, and is available for any who is TRULY seeking that wisdom.

All who are thirsty,
All who are weak,
Come to the Fountain.


The question is, Are you thirsty? Do you have a desire for that knowledge which surpasses all knowledge? Are you willing to submit your thoughts to His thoughts, your ways to His ways?


Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. 
If you lean on your own ideas of what wisdom means, sooner or later calamity will blow like a hurricane upon those walls, and you and your ideas will fall.


In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Are your paths crooked? Does it look as if you're walking along in circles? If you seek His will, He will straighten you out. He will show you the way.


Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD, and turn away from evil.
Admit your ignorance. Forget what you know. Be like a child who believes in his or her wise Father who teaches all things. Start again. From scratch. Even what you know needs to be renewed.



May the Holy Spirit open our eyes, that we may SEE the wonders of His Word and His presence! That we may taste and know that the Lord is GOOD! 

To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. How true. Cari! I love Proverbs 2 and 3...great analogies of Wisdom, and you've summed them up beautifully!!
    Cyber Hugs, my new friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! Great post. Understanding the wisdom of God has been high on my priority list lately. Thank you for tackling this deep subject. AND...thanks for adding a subscribe button. That helps your "older" fans remember to visit :) I'm sharing this on FB and Twitter for you. I am so thankful for our friendship. Bless you! Nan

    ReplyDelete